St. Mark's Cemetery was established in 1792 as a designated cemetery grounds. It was previously used as a First Nation's burying ground. During the War of 1812, the cemetery and church grounds were used as a field hospital. In 1813, the American's seized the cemetery and church grounds to use as their barracks.
There are rumors that ghosts of American and British soldiers can be seen wandering and chilling screams heard while taking a walk through the cemetery grounds.
St. Mark's Anglican Church was established by Rev. Addison who died in 1829 and is buried in the cemetery.
Some other memorable names that can be seen in the cemetery are:
- William Claus: soldier, executive council of Upper Canada, superintendent of Indian Affairs
- William Dickson: lawyer, founder of the City of Galt (now Cambridge)
Interesting grave markers:
- Heather: husband and wife, large Celtic stone with full obituary
- Robert Wilson: serpent figure on headstone
- Elizabeth Kerr: died 1794, one of the oldest stones still readable. Daughter of Molly Brant and Sir William Johnson.
Gates open from dawn to dusk daily.
-Take Gardiner Expressway W
-Continue onto QEW
-Merge on 403 W
-Keep left onto QEW (signs for Niagara/East Hamilton/Fort Erie)
-Exit onto Glendale Ave/Regional Road 89
-Turn right onto Taylor Rd/Regional Road 70
-Continue onto Niagara Stone Rd
-Continue onto Mississauga St/Regional Road 55
-Turn right onto Queen St
-Left onto King St
-Go one block up to Byron St; left onto Byron
-Destination will be on left
- Take Niagara Parkway/River Road north towards Niagara-on-the-Lake
- At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on Niagara Parkway
-Continue onto Queen's Parade
-Turn right onto Wellingston St (at Picton st.)
-Turn left onto Byron St
-Destination will be on right
- Addison Hall
- Cemetery Grounds
41 Byron Street