Battle of Beaverdams Park

My Trip +



Cast iron anchor memorial
 


Benches alongside bandshell
 


Battle of Beaverdams moument
 


Entrance to park
 

General Information

The Thorold Discovery Walk pamphlet says this historical ten acre passive park was created in 1976 on the in filled channel of the second Welland Canal, but despite the name it's not the site of the battle itself. However, it commemorates both Laura Ingersoll Secord and the soldiers involved in the decisive Battle of Beaverdams in 1813.

The park is situated in the heart of Thorold just around the corner from the downtown core.

This point of interest is linked to The Battlefields of The War of 1812 Tour.


Hours of Operation

The park is open for use from dusk till dawn.

Directions

From Toronto

Take Queen Elizabeth Way (Niagara) to St. Catharines
Take exit 49 for Hwy 406 toward Thorold/Welland/Pt.Colborne
Merge onto King's Highway 406
Slight right at King's Highway 58
Take the Pine South exit toward County Rd-67
Turn right at Sullivan Avenue
Turn right at Front Street South

From Niagara Falls
Head north on Victoria Avenue toward Valley Way

Turn left at Bridge Street

Turn right at Stanley Avenue

Continue onto Thorold Stone Road

Continue onto King's Highway 58

Take the exit toward Pine Street South

Turn right at Sullivan Avenue

Take the second right onto Front Street South


From USA
Head south on Stanley Avenue toward Stamford Street
Take the second right onto King's Highway 420
Turn right at Montrose Road
Turn left at Thorold Stone Road
Continue onto King's Highway 58
Take the exit toward Pine Street South
Turn right at Pine Street South
Turn right at Sullivan Avenue
Take second right onto Front Steet South

The Main Park Gate is located just east of the intersection of Sullivan Avenue and Towpath Street. Pedestrians and cyclists may enter here.



The Parking Lot is located at the south end of the park, at the intersection of Ormond Street South and Portland Street

Historical

The Battle of Beaverdams Park commemorates the battle of June 24, 1813 fought by James FitzGibbon against the Americans, after Laura Secord had warned him of an American ambush. This park remebers one of the bloodiest battle during the war of 1812.

The park contains three notable heritage features: Lock 25 of the Second Welland Canal, The "JB" Stone and the Battle of Beaverdams Monuments.

The Lock 25 is a reminder of the extensive canal system that once existed and ran through the town of Thorold. It was highest escarpment lock on the Second Welland Canal and was opened in 1845. In the 1960s the canal was drained and filled in, and the park was created.

The "JB" Stone is suggested to have come from the Thorold Cement Works that stood beside the Second Welland Canal and is approximately two meters long. It was founded in 1840. The initials JB remain a mystery. They may stand for the Thorold Cement Works founder John Brown, or John Battle, who acquired the site in 1876 from Brown, or possibly one of John Battle's sons, James or Joseph. A plaque dedicated to Laura Secord also stands in the park.

A stone cairn was erected by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada in 1924. It commemorates the turning of the first sod for the Welland Canal at Allanburg on November 30, 1824. The honor fell to George Keefer of Thorold, President of the Welland Canal Company, who had accompanied William Hamilton Merritt and others on an exploratory survery of the canal line in 1818. The canal opened in 1829, five years to the day from the sod turning ceremony. It used to sit on the battlefield itself on the east side of the Thorold Tunnel, but it was moved to the park in town. There is also a limestone obelisk which was erected in 1874, marking the grave of 16 American soldiers.

The Battle of Beaverdams Monument commemorates a pivotal encounter during the war of 1812. In late May the Americans invaded the Niagara Peninsula but were driven back to Fort George where they planned a counter attack on Leuitenant James FitzGibbon. The cairn was erected in 1923 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. It originally stood on the battlefield but was move to the park in 1976.

Recreational

Walking paths, a bandshell and swings are available for use.

Further Information

Heritage Thorold, Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee, (LACAC)


Heritage Thorold (LACAC). Thorold: A Selection of Heritage Buildings and Sites. 2006.


This is also available as a free booklet at the following three locations. Call ahead for hours and availability:

City of Thorold's municipal office at 3540 Schmon Parkway (905) 227-6613. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday. It's available in a pamphlet rack located to the right of the front door, across from the receptionist's desk.

Lock 7 Tourist Centre


Thorold Public Library

This webpage was prepared by Cavelle Schmid and Kristin Atkinson in December 2009. Trip narration by Cavelle Schmid, photos by Cavelle Schmid and Kristin Atkinson. Thanks to the staff at Brock University for their help in the creation of this page.

Facilities

  • band shell
  • walking path
  • swings
  • walking path
  • washroom facilities

Ownership & Management

City of Thorold

Contact

Phone: (905) 227-1148
Website: http://thoroldtourism.ca/historyheritage2.htm

Address

Battle of Beaverdams Park
Main Park Gate: Sullivan Avenue at Towpath Street or the Parking Lot: Ormond Street South at Portland Street
Thorold, Ontario

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude: 43.122587208507
Longitude: -79.201446190469
UTM easting: 646307
UTM northing: 4775998

Map

Administration

Dave Akrigg
Operations Supervisor, Parks
City of Thorold
3540 Schmon Parkway
Thorold, Ontario
L2V 4A7
Tel (905) 227-1148
Email betty@thorold.com
Website http://thoroldtourism.ca/