This house was built by W. Boise Nelles on his fruit farm in 1905 . He and his family lived here for many years before he died in 1916, at the age of 45. The house continues to be used as a private residence.
Corner of Pinewood Avenue and Nelles Road North
"Around 1800, William Nelles built The Hermitage on land near Lake Ontario. When he died, the land was divided between his sons, Peter Ball Nelles and John Adolphus Nelles. Peter had the eastern portion of the land, which he called Chestnut Park. John Adolphus had the western part on which he built Lakelawn. Two Nelles descendants, F.M. Manson and Lillian Drope, named this road in the 1920s." The Streets of Grimsby from A - W
Grimsby Heritage Advisory Committee. The Nelles Heritage Driving Tour. Brochure available from the Grimsby Historical Society or online.
Grimsby Heritage Advisory Committee (GHAC). The Streets of Grimsby from A-W. 2000. Book available for sale at the Grimsby Historical Society as well as at the Town of Grimsby municipal office at 160 Livingston Avenue, open from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (905) 945-9634 Call ahead for availability.
Private Residence, not open to the public
W. Boise Nelles House
18 Nelles Road North