"William Nelles built The Hermitage around 1800. This house played an interesting part in the War 1812. American prisoners were housed in the barn after the Engagement at the Forty, (a battle which took place in what in what is now the nearby Forty Mile Creek Park.) During the bombardment of the Forty, the Nelles family took shelter in the gully just east of the house. In the basement of this often-renovated house, the original fireplace and bake oven still exist." The Nelles Heritage Driving Tour
The name of this street seems obvious, but there is more to it than one might think. At one time, it was part of the military road, which ran along the lakeshore. Sections that have not been eroded can still be seen east of Thirty Road in Lincoln County. (Town of Lincoln) Lake Avenue East which is part of this road, was surveyed in 1919, but was not built up until World War Two, and then only on the east side of Grimsby. In 1973 when the Q.E.W. interchanges were built, a section of road was put through Gordon Lipsitts farm to connect Park Avenue East, Fair Avenue and Lake Street. The Streets of Grimsby from A - W
Grimsby Heritage Advisory Committee (GHAC). The Nelles Heritage Driving Tour. Brochure available at the Grimsby Historical Society, or online.
Grimsby Heritage Advisory Committee (GHAC). The Streets of Grimsby from A-W. 2000. Book available for sale at the Grimsby Historical Society as well as at the Town of Grimsby municipal office at 160 Livingston Avenue, open from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (905) 945-9634
Private Residence, not open to the public
139 Lake Street