This house was built in 1892 for the Rev. Mr. John Muir, who ministered to the first St. John's Presbyterian Church from which the manse was separated by the Gurney house where the Rev. J.G. Murray had lived. At Church Union in 1925, the manse became the property of the United Church. Originally on this site had been an earlier house, John Green's "three-door frame" (1790). Here the first municipal meeting in the province of Upper Canada was held to organize the civic affairs of the settlement of The Forty. Governor and Mrs. John Graves Simcoe were often guests here. Imagine as over 200 years ago officials met on this very spot to decide the fate of Upper Canada which later became a part of the Province of Ontario.
Town of Grimsby: http://westniagara.com/ghs/map.html
|Phone:||(905) 309 0796|
United Church Manse
92 Main Street West