The red brick Fenwick United Church on the corner of Canboro and Church Streets was erected in 1900. It was built when two Methodist groups amalgamated. One of these congregations had been active since about 1830.
Today the 109 year old church has a children and adult choir during worship, and bible study groups. It is also a location for Alcoholics Anonymous and is an Early Years Site.
Tuesday 9:00 am - 12 noon
Thurday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Sunday 11:00 am
Sunday 10:30 am
"Behind the church there was once a drill hall, and here Captain Haney drilled a volunteer company of infantry at the time of the Fenian Raid of 1866." // "Church Street was the site of several businesses, including a blacksmith and wagon shop started by William Swayze in about 1860, and an apple evaporator, used to dry apples from surrounding orchards. On Church Street you will pass two of Fenwick's most important historical sites: the Station and the Fenwick Fairgrounds." // "In 1896, the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway opened its line to Welland and the Fenwick Station came into operation, located just north of Foss Road. It closed in 1966, and the building was sold for $150.00." // "There are records of a fair in Pelham as early as 1856. It was held in various sites, but by the late 1800s had a home on lots bounded by Church on the east and Foss on the south. In the early 1900s it was a huge event featuring displays, contests, horse races and large crowds in attendance."
- A Historical Tour of Fenwick. Pelham Historical Society. 2003.
Fenwick United Church
1050 Church St
L0S 1C0 Municipality Town of Pelham