The Old Beaverdams Burying Ground was designated as a historic site to Thorold because it has significance to early settlers of the area, and has been in use since 1801. The oldest visible stone is from 1805. Many of the tombstones are locally made from Grimsby Granite, or Niagara Escarpment Limestone.
The Beaverdams Burying Ground is known as one of the oldest cemeteries and public burying grounds in the Niagara region and Thorold. This area was used for burials of early settlers and founding families of Thorold Township. The heritage designation of this site is important to the city of Thorold because of the site's connections to early settlers, the War of 1812, and continually important to modern Thorold since it allows reflection on the past.
Some notable names:
-Couke: George Couke was a private in the 2nd Lincoln Militia, died in 1812.
-Hagar: Died in 1813 (possibility to have been apart of the War of 1812).
-Smith: The Smith Family lives in the house next door to the cemetery, and own property surrounding the cemetery grounds. Many members of the Smith family are buried on the grounds.
All photos in gallery by: Jessica Sutton
Open 24/7, year round. Public area, no gates.
-Take Gardiner Expressway W
-Continue onto QEW
-Merge on 403 W
-Keep left onto QEW (signs for Niagara/East Hamilton/Fort Erie)
-Take exit onto 406 S toward Thorold/Welland/Port Colborne
-Take exit onto 58 S toward Thorold/Niagara Falls
-Take first exit off/Collier Road S
-Turn right (south) onto Collier Road
-Turn right (west) onto Beaverdams Rd/Regional Road 67
-Continue 800m; location will be on right
-Take Thorold Stone Road to 58 N (signs for Thorold/406)
-Take second exit onto Collier Road
-Turn left (south) onto Collier Road
-Turn right (west) onto Beaverdams Road/Regional Road 67
-Continue 800m; destination will be on right
Old Beaverdams Burying Ground by LACAC, Thorold Public Library
Decew Road & Beaverdams Road