Locks 12 to 16 of the Third Welland Canal are popular destinations with people interested in seeing how canal locks were built in the 19th century. The locks are massive, and several hiking trails, including a section of the Bruce trail, allow hikers a chance to inspect the locks.
The Third Welland Canal was built in the 1870's and operated until boat traffic moved to the Fourth Welland Canal in 1933. When designing the Third Welland canal, a decision was made to have the canal's channel cross over land instead of following naturally occurring rivers and streams. Because of this the Third Welland Canal is often characterized by several straight channels along its route. Locks 12 to 16 are an example of this. It was here at Lock 12 that the canal turned south and started its climb toward the escarpment. The straight channel and ascending locks have made this stretch a popular section to photograph as well.
Locks 12 to 16 are surrounded by noteworthy landmarks. The Third Welland Canal continues south with the CNR Bridge and Lock 17 a short distance away. Lock 11 can also be viewed looking north from lock 12. A golf course and a large General Motors plant border this location on the east and west.
From the QEW.
Exit the QEW at Glendale Ave. Travel south west along Glendale Ave for approximately 1.7 km, turning right onto an unmarked paved road that appears shortly after Homer Rd. The road is called Seaway Haulage Road and will turn left immediately making a loop back under Glendale Ave. Parking is available on the shoulder of the road in several places with. Lock 12 is north of Glendale while Locks 13 to 16 are located to the south.
Text and photographs on this page were graciously contributed by Matthew Jantz.
Seaway Haulage Rd
St. Catharines, Ontario