Historic & Heritage Sites

 Battle of Beaver Dams

Nestled at the corner of Old Thorold Stone Road and Davis Road sits the site of the Battle of Beaverdams, which was fought on June 24, 1813. The importance of this battle is that it was almost entirely fought by Aboriginal warriors on the British side. Al+

 Fort George

Fort George has been restored, featuring replica buildings and original structures. It is open to visitors, who can experience role re-enactments, tours, as well as musket and marching music demonstrations from the time period of the War of 1812. Be sure +

 Port Dalhousie Heritage District

Port Dalhousie"s present-day charm lies in its historic port and relaxed, beach-resort atmosphere. But Port Dalhousie was not always a recreational destination. The marshy shores were originally inhabited by the Neutral Indians, who hunted and fished in t+

 Fort Mississauga Lookout

Fort Mississauga is located at the west end of Front Street in the Old Town district of Niagara-on-the-Lake. The Fort is situated on a short trail which follows the shoreline of Lake Ontario. This national historic site was established by British forces i+

 Zimmerman House

"Located on the corner of Main Street and Regional Road 81/King Street, and built by James Snure, this house belonged to blacksmith and quarry owner Peter Zimmerman. A local story suggests it was to be used as a gristmill but that never came to be. It is +

 William Birch Rankine Power Station

The William Birch Rankine Power Station is a hydro electric station that resides along the Canadian side of the Niagara River. These generators are decommissioned however they are maintained by a small number of staff in case of an instance when they are +

 Statue of Confucius

Located in front of the International Centre, the two meter tall statue of Confucius was a gift from Minjian University. The purpose of this statue was to show that Brock University now houses one of three Confucius institutes in Ontario. The institute ha+

 Welland Vale Manufacturing Industries

The rapidly rushing waters of Welland Vale have attracted industry for centuries, starting with the early 19th century grist mills of William Hamilton Merritt, George Adams, and John L. Ranney, and continuing to the present day. Manufacturing industries +

 Port Dalhousie Lighthouses

There are two lighthouses in Port Dalhousie, originally built as navigational aids to direct ships into the harbour and the First, Second and Third Welland Canals. The outer range lighthouse, built circa 1879, is located at the end of the marina pier and +

 St. Catharines Training Fire Tower

Slightly downstream from the St. Paul Crescent bridge is an odd, pink, concrete, four-story building on the west bank. This is the St. Catharines Fire Department"s Training Fire Tower, which is used for a wide range of fire drill exercises for trainees an+

 Welland Mills

The Welland Mills complex was believed to be one of Upper Canada"s largest flour mills. The Welland Mills is an exceptional example of an early neo-classical industrial building with considerable architectural merit. It represents historical significance +

 Snure-Sedgewick House

During the settlement of Jordan, this house was the local post office. A few years ago Robin Loewen purchased this historic building and established Mosaika Gallery gift shop. Come by to browse an eclectic mix of artful items for all budgets. With styles +

 Canadian National Railway

In 1853 the Great Western Railway, GWR , opened in St. Catharines. A wooden trestle bridge built across 12 Mile Creek. 1882 Welland Railways and GWR combine to creat the Grand Trunk Railway, GTR. Became better and more economical to move people and freigh+

 DeCew House

DeCew House was the destination for Laura Secord when she set out on her celebrated trek from Queenston over the rough terrain of the Niagara Escarpment in June of 1813 to warn the British military of an impending American attack. The foundation of DeCew +

 Welland Vale

Welland Vale is the name given to a small valley located where Welland Ave. crosses 12 Mile Creek today and where William Hamilton Merritt, founder of the original Welland Canal, operated a mill on the creek that runs through the valley. Today Welland Val+

  Battle of Stoney Creek

Located just minutes outside of the Niagara Region is Battlefield Park, where the battle of Stoney Creek was fought on June 5, 1813. This is the farthest North the Americans were able to gain before being pushed back by British forces. While very few Abor+

 United Church Manse

This house was built in 1892 for the Rev. Mr. John Muir, who ministered to the first St. John"s Presbyterian Church from which the manse was separated by the Gurney house where the Rev. J.G. Murray had lived. At Church Union in 1925, the manse became the +

 North Pelham Street

North Pelham Street features what is left of Old Fonthill. The street is lined with houses from the Victorian Era.


 Fort George Historic Site

Fort George is a national historic site on the south side of the Old Town district of Niagara-on-the-Lake. Fort George was the main headquarters of the centre division of the British Army during War 1812, and also played a large role in the defence of Upp+

 Wismer-Daly House

"Adorned with beautiful cut glass windows, this house also boasts detailed and lovely woodwork. It was built by A.K. Wismer for his father. The house sits on property that was originally used as a pear orchard, and that once included the barn on the neigh+

 Stone Shop

The Stone Shop was built in 1800 by Allan Nixon as a blacksmith shop where both British and American forces had their horses shod and equipment repaired.The building was used as Grimsbys first museum from 1963 to 1983. It is now privately owned and houses+

 Sir Adam Beck Generating Station 2

Since 1958, Sir Adam Beck 2 Generating Station has captured that potential energy in one of Ontario"s largest hydroelectric facilities. It"s a wonderful example of a natural, non-polluting and reliable power source that has worked in harmony with the beau+

 Path of Possibilities

The Path of Possibilities is a large sculpture by artist Ilan Averbuch originally located at the main entrance of Brock University, just south of the bus loop in front of The Schmon Tower. In September 2014, the sculpture was moved to a new location just +

 Nelles Millstone

Just at the end of Gibson Street, on the west side of the foot bridge, is a millstone (1793) from one of the mills that Robert Nelles operated with his son, Henry. Credit goes to the Grimsby Historical Society for tracking down the stone and mounting i+

 Old Merritton Cotton Mill

The Old Meritton Mill was a part of the 19th century boom of technology, industry, and mills. Strongly influencing trends in transportation and communication, the Welland Canal provided sufficient connections to water power generation for the industries i+

 Pollard House

"The Pollard House is of historical value as the site of an early post office in the Township of Pelham (1888-1914).""The property is of architectural value as an example of the mid-Victorian vernacular style, typical of Pelham, and retaining significant +

 St. Mark's Cemetery

St. Mark"s Cemetery was established in 1792 as a designated cemetery grounds. It was previously used as a First Nations burying ground. During the War of 1812, the cemetery and church grounds were used as a field hospital. In 1813, the Americans seized th+

 St. Paul Crescent Bridge

The old truss bridge spanning the Twelve Mile Creek at the foot of St. Paul Terrace was once an alternate way to cross from west St. Catharines into the downtown core. It carried traffic across the creek on St. Paul Crescent, but was decommissioned for ve+

 Vineland Mennonite Cemetery

The Mennonite Burying Ground was established in 1793, pieces of the original stone wall still exist today and buried there are many of the early pioneers of the Vineland region. Next to the cemetery is The First Mennonite Church, which was established in +

 Battle of Chippawa

The Battle of Chippawa is considered to be one of the bloodiest battles in the War of 1812. As the Niagara Campaign was coming to a close, tensions between the Aboriginal communities and their British allies were running high. To make things worse, an ear+

 Trinity United Church Thorold

Trinity United Church was built on January 21st 1849 in Thorold, Ontario. The new church was opened and dedicated by infamous Reverend Egerton Ryerson who also founded the public school system. From 1854 Thorold was part of the St. Catharines circuit unti+

 Niagara-on-the-Lake National Heritage District

This area has been designated one of national significance. Within the heritage area is the historical town, known as the Queen-Picton District. Within the Queen-Picton district you will fine an array of shops and historic houses in a scenic environment. +

 Wilson-Hansler-Stirtzinger House

This House was built by John Wilson in 1876 of triple brick. The walls are two feet thick and the floors are made of a mixture of cherry and maple woods. The house passed onto the family of Dr. John Hansler, and then to his nephew John Loyal Stirtzinger i+

 Sir Gordon Drummond's Story at Lundy's Lane

The story of Sir Gordon Drummond begins in July 1814, when British and Canadian forces under the command of Drummond engaged in a short but deadly battle against American forces. The site of Lundy`s Lane is recognized as the most important and bloodies+

 Sir Adam Beck Generating Station 1

Sir Adam Beck 1 was the largest hydraulic generating station in the world when completed by Ontario Hydro in 1930. The plant continues to operate today and can generate enough power to supply a small,modern city.+

 2000 Years on the Edge

2000 Years on the Edge, a 1999 bronze and stone sculpture by German-Canadian artist Reinhard Reitzenstein, is one of the strangest looking sculptures located on campus. Without knowing the meaning of it, you might be quite confused about what it actually +

 Mill Path

Gibson Avenue was named for Robert Lillie Gibson a Scottish stone worker who established a quarry on the escarpment around 1860. Before becoming Gibson Avenue, the original mill path led to the Nelles Mills. The sawmill was built first and later the grist+

 Olde Angel Inn: The story of Captain Swayze

As one of Ontario"s oldest operating inns, the Olde Angel Inn is no stranger to paranormal activity. It is said that Captain Swayze, a British solider from the War of 1812 is still present at the inn, walking the halls at night.The Olde Angel Inn is a pop+

 Morningstar Mill

Thanks to the Friends of Morningstar Mill, there is now a fully restored 1872 grist mill beside beautiful DeCew Falls, a 22 metre (75 foot), waterfall. It is the only operating water powered mill in the Niagara Peninsula, and was one of the first milling +

 O'Reilly's Bridge

The Citizen's Committee to Save O'Reilly's Bridge is asking for your help to save this historic 107 year old single lane iron-truss bridge. It is the last Pratt and Parker style br+

 Welland Canals Parkway Trail

The Welland Canal has made a signifiacnt impact on the historical, natural and built development of St. Catharines. The Welland Canal Parkway is a recreational trail which links the cities industrial heritage and recreational future. The recreational park+

 Victoria Lawn Cemetery

In 1856, the town of St. Catharines established The St. Catharines Cemetery, located just east of downtown near the Welland Canal. In the early 1900"s the cemetery was renamed Victoria Lawn in commemoration for Queen Victoria of England. There are approxi+

 Battle of Lundy's Lane

The Battle of Lundy"s Lane was one of the last major battles before the Treaty of Ghent, which ended the War of 1812, was signed in December of 1814. Both the American and British suffered heavy casualties and injuries in this battle. The Iroquois, howeve+

 Trinity United Church

The nave of the present church occupies the site of the original Gurney-Murray house. The red brick section on the higher ground, which is now called "Memory Hall" is part of the 1883 construction retained for sentimental reasons. This small section of th+

 Maple Street

The maple trees on Maple Street were planted by Arthur Conn and Louis Haney. The Haney family certainly left their mark on the village and there are four Haney houses remaining in town today. The houses behind the tree-lined Maple Street are attractive he+

 Willowbank (National Historic Site)

The magnificant grounds of Willowbank house three distinct but related entities: theSchool of Restoration Arts, the Centre for Cultural Landscapes, and t+

 Parade Square

The park in front of the Grimsby Museum was the heart of the 19th century settlement of The Forty, named after the nearby creek flowing down the Niagara Escarpment. At one time extending farther north than it does now, this was the parade ground for the 4+


Over the years, the Concordia statue has stood outside the smoking area at Brock University between the Thistle Complex, Mackenzie Chown, and Taro Hall. The Concordia statue was originally called Spirit de la Concorde or Spirit 3.With the final touches be+

 Lake Moodie Hydroelectric Reservoir - Lookout

From the parking lot, you will see the stone foundation of historical DeCew House. Follow the Bruce Trail westward around the edge of Lake Moodie, which is a large reservoir that supplies water for the DeCew 1 and DeCew 2 hydroelectric plants. You will pa+

 McKinnon Industries / General Motors Plant 1

General Motors Plant 1, also called the St. Catharines components plant, powertrain plant, axle plant, or transmission plant, is the sprawling industrial complex on Ontario Street backing onto the Twelve Mile Creek. It was the former site of McKinnon Indu+

 Maplewood Camp and the Honeymoon Huts

During the summer of 1922, Maplewood Camp was developed consisting of a tea room with wide verandas, a rustic refreshment stand and circular seating around maple trees. The next summer, tree houses eight feet long and ten feet wide with windows, a door, a+

 Lybster Mill

The Lybster Mill that is located across the street from the Old Merriton Cotton Mill and was also a cotton manufacturer. The Lybster Mill was built in 1860 and was one of the pioneering cotton mills in the dominion of Canada.The vacant lot in front was+

 Glendale Bridge

Glendale Bridge was built to replace old one-way bridge. The one-way bridge was located along Old Glendale Road, but had to be taken down later for safety purposes. In its place is a pedestrian footbridge that crosses the Twelve Mile Creek, to Twelve T+

 Third Welland Canal - Locks 12 to 16

Locks 12 to 16 of the Third Welland Canal are popular destinations with people interested in seeing how canal locks were built in the 19th century. The locks are massive, and several hiking trails, including a section of the Bruce trail, allow hikers a ch+

 Old Beaverdams Burying Ground

The Old Beaverdams Burying Ground was designated as a historic site to Thorold because it has significance to early settlers of the area, and has been in use since 1801. The oldest visible stone is from 1805. Many of the tombstones are locally made fro+

 St. Vincent de Paul

The Church was established in 1827, evangelizing Natives and providing chaplains for the soldiars of Fort George and Fort Mississauga. In 1835, the church was erected and has since served the Niagara area. It is the oldest operational Catholic Church in O+

 William D. Kitchen House

"The property on which the house sits was a Crown Grant of 52 acres to a loyalist from New Jersey named William W. Kitchen around 1790. He married Alice Beam and together they had nine children. William and Alice"s youngest son, Jacob married Jane Dennis.+

 Mary Henry's Story at Fort George

Fort George was not only a defensive and strategic area for the British soldiers during the War of 1812, but also an area of protection for the wives and children of the British soldiers. During the battle at Fort George in 1813, Mary Henry, the brave and+

 Heywood Generating Station

In 1987-88, the Heywood Hydroelectric Generating Station was built by St. Catharines Hydro Generation, a wholly owned affiliate of the local utility company, St. Catharines Hydro. It is located just east of the Harbourfront Walkway, adjacent to Snug Harbo+

 Lincoln Fabrics / Maple Leaf Rubber Company

Between Port Dalhousie Harbour and Lockport Road stands a conspicuous red brick factory building built in 1900 by the Maple Leaf Rubber Company. It was established on this site to take advantage of the Welland Canal for transportation. There was originall+

 Lookout Point Golf Club / Lookout Point

Lookout Point is quite significant historically for a few reasons: the first is that it was the home course for one of Canada"s best known golfers Marlene Stewart Streit. Lookout Point is also at the top of the Fonthill Kame and was the highest point in t+

 Grist Mill (a.k.a.Peter Secord Grist Mill)

This English grist (flour) mill built on the Peter Secord farm during 1782-83 is the very first grist mill built in the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake and last one standing in all of Ontario. Its architectural feautures like timber framework, stone basement,+

 William Hamilton Merritt Monument

In a small parkette on the corner of St. Paul Street West and McGuire Street in downtown St. Catharines stands a bronze statue of William Hamilton Merritt, one of the most celebrated citizens of the city of St. Catharines. As a founder and primary force b+

 Niagara Regional Native Centre

Showcasing Native Canadian Arts & Culture.


 Gibson Street Bridge

The original wooden bridge built in the 19th century was replaced with the present footbridge in 1985. Gibson Street was originally the mill path, that led to the Nelles Mills. The saw mill was built first and later the grist mill. The Gibson Street Bridg+

 Second Welland Canal Turning Basin

The Second Welland Canal turning basin was once located in the area that is now a large open field in the south-west corner of Mountain Locks Park, adjacent the intersection of Bradley St. and Mountain St. This open area was once part of a large pond that+

 Negro Burial Ground

The Negro Burial Ground was once the site of the Niagara Baptist Church formed in 1830. Some bodies of this predominantly African-Canadian congregation rest in the church"s graveyard, including Susan Oakley, daughter of the Church"s founder Rev. John Oakl+

 St. Thomas' Anglican Church

St Thomas Anglican Church was erected in 1877, and its impressive architecture is a beautiful sight on Ontario Street. It is located near Montebello Park, an extra bonus for those who visit it. St Thomas" is a community of God"s people seeking to "Walk in+

 White House

This handsome Georgian stone house, was the residence of Reverend George Grout who served St. Andrew"s Church from 1827- 1849. At age 23, Mr. Grout was appointed Deacon and arrived with his new wife. He lived in the house on Main Street East where his pre+

 Kissing Rock

Located outdoors, next to the Lock 7 Viewing Complex, the Kissing Rock is steeped in legend from the past. In the present, many travelers come yearly to kiss at the Kissing Rock. It is home to the Longest Kiss Contest for the Guinness Book of World Rec+

 DeCew Falls Generating Station No. 2 - 1943

DeCew Falls Generating Plant 1, adjacent to this station, is the oldest continually running hydroelectric power station in Canada. A second phase of the plant, DeCew Falls Generating Plant 2, was initiated in 1943 to aid in the war effort. It was complete+

 Lincoln Fabrics

Lincoln Fabrics Ltd., is a fabric manufacuring company(Broadwoven Fabric Mill) that specializes in new fibers and weaving technology to produce new market specific materials. Many of their products are specially produced to engineer reinforcements for exi+

 Lake Lodge Gates

These majestic gates were once the entrance of the Lake Lodge Boy"s School. Lake Lodge was originally the gracious homestead built by Abraham Nelles in 1812. Abraham Nelles was an important figure in the community and played a significant role in the War +

 St. Johns Schools Cairn

The St. Johns Schools Cairn commemorates the succession of schools that were established in the village of St. Johns, starting more than two centuries ago. On the top of the cairn is an old schoolbell from one of the schools, and the west side is inset a +

 Battle of Queenston Heights

It was on these grounds that the iconic Battle of Queenston Heights was fought and won by the British and their allies on October 13, 1812. While many people associate this battle with the death of Sir Isaac Brock, it can also be remembered as the batt+

 CNR Swing Bridge - Third Welland Canal

The CNR Bridge, located where the CN railway crosses the Third Welland Canal, is a favorite landmark for people hiking along the canal. The bridge was built in the mid 1880's with the special ability to rotate 90 degrees and allow ships to pass. Access+

 Second Welland Canal - Port Robinson Lock

The small town of Port Robinson retains an unusual artifact from the Second Welland Canal. Built in 1850, a stone lock once used to transport ships between the Welland Canal and the Welland River sits resolutely in a big open field. With no water in sight+

 Lakeview Cemetery

The Lakeview Cemetery was established in 1886 in the outskirts of the Thorold city limits. This site is surrounded by forests, farms and a secluded portion of the Niagara Escarpment. The cemetery is broken up into two sections; the old section and the new+

 St. Saviour Anglican Church, The Brock Memorial Church

St. Saviour Anglican Church, the Brock Memorial Church, is dedicated to the memory of Sir Isaac Brock, Commander of Troops during the War of 1812. The charming stone church that sits above the banks of the Niagara River was built in 1879. It bears the sam+

 Whirlpool House

The Whirlpool house was built by Andrew Rorback at around 1800 on one of the main transportation routes in the Niagara Falls region at the time - Portage Road. Being built before the War of 1812, the house stands as one of the oldest homes in the Niagara +

 Fort Mississauga

Fort Mississauga is located on the grounds of Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club. It is the oldest golf course in North America! A pedestrian trail starts at the corner of Simcoe and Front streets and leads to the fort. This trail was established by the Friend+

 DeCew Falls Generating Station No. 1 - 1898

Built in 1898, DeCew Falls 1 is the oldest continually running hydroelectric power generating station in Canada. This plant uses the geographical features of the Niagara Escarpment to produce electricity.In 1896, five Hamilton entrepreneurs, all named Joh+

 DeCew Falls Water Treatment Plant

The original DeCew Falls Water Treatment Plant is a brown brick building north of DeCew Road. It was constructed in 1925 to safeguard municipal water quality, and has been expanded several times over the years. Since 1970, it has been operated by the Regi+

 Hawley-Breckenridge House - Haunted

The Breckenridge-Hawley Estate, built in 1796, is located in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and there have been several sightings and instances of paranormal activity. The first reported sighting dates back to the late 1800s when a previous owner, Major Charles Sta+

 St. Catharines Gateway (The Rockpile)

At the junction of St. Paul Street West and Westchester Crescent in downtown St. Catharines stands the Gateway, an artistic placement of natural stones, polished granite obelisks, and trees. Erected in 1987 at a cost of approximately $200,000 the monument+

 Burgoyne Bridge

W. B. Burgoyne was the editor of the St. Catharines Standard newspaper. He saw residents travelling back and forth between the downtown and the train station via the steep and treacherous hills on St. Paul Street West and he began to envision a viaduct ac+

 Second Welland Canal - Lock 3 Remnants

Hikers on the Merrit Trail near Downtown St. Catharines will be surprised to see a partially uncovered wall emerging from the ground below. The wall is part of Lock 3 from the Second Welland Canal that operated through downtown St. Catharines from 1845 un+

 Hillside Cemetery

The Hillside Cemetery is the original township cemetery for Fenwick, a small agricultural village in the present Town of Pelham. The graves at this site are marked from the period of 1820 onwards. This active cemetery is a good resource for those interest+

 St. Mark's Anglican Church (NOTL)

In 1790 John Butler and Robert Hamilton wrote a letter to the Anglican Bishop of Nova Scotia requesting a clergyman be sent to Niagara to establish a Presbyterian parish. In the letter it was noted that due to the lack of Clergymen, the first to arrive in+

 Whale Inn

This building was originally built as a hostel for sailors in 1835. It was designated under Part 1V of the Ontario Heritage Act in 1994. +

 Engagement at the Forty

In 1812 the United State declared War on Britian and began by attacking Canada from three points, one being Niagara. In 1813 the Engagement at the Forty, occured. A plaque commemorating the event was presented by the Historic Sites and Monuments board of +

 Cave Spring Cellars Winery Building

Built in 1871, this long rambling building, with its handmade cement blocks, was originally built to house the Jordan Vinegar Works. Established by Clark Snure and his son Eldridge, it advertised "Jams, Jellies, Evaporated Fruits, Cider and Pure Cider Vin+

 Glenview Mansion (Pink Palace) - Haunted

Glenview Mansion (or the Pink Palace) in east end of Clifton, now known as Niagara Falls, was built by John Drew in the 1860s. The paranormal stories of the Mansion are associated with the apparitions from two murders.The first murder that occurred in the+

 Samuel Chandler Monument

In an inconspicuous location in the sleepy little village of St. Johns lies a monument commemorating the storied life of one of Niagara"s most fascinating historical figures, a political rebel whose stance against the British in favour of American Republi+

 Second Welland Canal - Lock 1 Park (Port Dalhousie)

In a small parkette in old Port Dalhousie, you can see the stone walls of old Lock 1 of the Second Welland Canal, immediately east of the intersection of Lakeport Road and Lock Street. A historical plaque stands at the southeast corner of the park.The Sec+

 Hicksite Burial Ground

In 1866 Hicksite Quakers* built a meeting hall in Pelham, on the corner of Welland Road and Effingham Street. They built a church to replace it in 1870. The Hicksite Burial Ground was beside the church which was removed to 1141 Maple Street in Fenwick for+

 St. John's Presbyterian Church, Grimsby

St. John"s Presbyterian Chuch was built in 1928 by the Shaffer Bros, with the assistance of church members. Local red sandstone from Gibson quarry was donated by John Gibson, owner of the quarry. Left-over stone was buried and later used to make an additi+

 W. Boise Nelles House

This house was built by W. Boise Nelles on his fruit farm in 1905 . He and his family lived here for many years before he died in 1916, at the age of 45. The house continues to be used as a private residence.+

 DeCew Town

The vanished hamlet of DeCew Town was located along the edge of the Niagara Escarpment between DeCew House and DeCew Falls.Settler John DeCew built several mills on 200 acres of land he purchased in 1792 on the escarpment above 12 Mile Creek. DeCew was ca+

 Canada Hair Cloth Company

The Old Canada Hair Cloth Company is located just South of St. Paul St. St. Catharines. The present building stands as a figure of how influential manufacturing was in the Niagara Region. The building is made up of red brick and white trimmed windows. The+

 East Side School Bell

"The East Side School was built in 1870 and was located on the west side of Carleton Street South directly across from L.G. Lorriman (Central) School, now known as City Hall. East Side School originated as a 2 room free school and in 1875 was enlarged +

 Grande Hermine

"La Grande Hermine" (The Big Weasel) is one of the most recognizable landmarks along the Niagara stretch of the Queen Elizabeth Way. The 140 foot ship was created as a replica of the largest of 3 ships French Explorer Jacques Cartier sailed up the St. Law+

 Neptune’s Staircase - Second Welland Canal

Neptune"s Staircase is one of the main historical landmarks located in Mountain Locks park. The name refers to a group of 6 locks (locks 16-21) that progress in a straight line along the south border of the park. The locks are accessible from Bradley St.,+

 Drummond Hill Cemetery

The Drummond Hill Cemetery is one of the most celebrated battlegrounds of the war of 1812 that took place between the British and the Americans. The bloody battlewhich took place here two centuries ago is known as the "Battle of Lundy"s Lane".This point o+

 St. John's Anglican Church, Port Dalhousie

In 1868 St. John"s Anglican Church was built with new bricks on the site of St. James" Church, which had burned down some years before.+

 Vintage House

Somewhere between 1840 and 1842 this Pennsylvania style house was built by local mason Newton Perry, for Isaac Wismer and his family. The red bricks were made in a kiln in the nearby Jordan Hollow. Perry also built St. John"s Anglican Church located on a +

 Coloured Corps' Story at Fort Mississauga

Fort Mississauga is located on the same grounds as the Niagara-on-the-Lakes Golf Club. Its location has a long history during the War of 1812. After the Americans captured Fort George, the creation of Fort Mississauga became crucial in protecting the Brit+

 Brock's Monument

Celebrating the life, accomplishments, and heroic death of Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, Brock"s Monument stands proudly within Queenston Heights Park overlooking the Niagara Parkway. Facing the United States, Brock"s Monument beckons you to climb the in+

 Lock 7 Viewing Complex

Welcome to Canada"s Most Patriotic City, where our flags fly high and Nanuk, the city polar bear, overlooks the Fourth Welland Canal. At the Lock 7 Viewing Complex you can watch the ships climb the mountain over the Twin Flight Locks and make their way in+

 Brethren in Christ Cemetery

The Brethren in Christ were a sect who drew their membership from Old Older Mennonites, Church of the Brethren, and Lutherans of Pennsylvania Dutch stock. They arrived in the Short Hills in the late 1700s, probably from Lancaster County in Pennsylvania, i+

 St. John's Anglican Church, Jordan

Rev. George Mortimer Armstrong came to Louth township as a missionary ca. 1840 and in January 1843 was appointed rector of the parish. Construction of the church probably began in 1841. The church probably opened for services in May 1842. Complete records+

 Vanderlip-Marcy House

This two-storey white frame house was built in 1816 on the location of another house that was destroyed during the War of 1812.+

 Butler's Burial Grounds Historic Site

The site is known as where Colonel John Butler lays; it features two plaques commemorating him and his troops. Colonel John Butler was an instrumental force in alliance between Natives and the British during the late 18th Century in Upper Canada. Known fo+

 Lock 7 and Twin Flight Locks

"Have you ever seen a ship climb a mountain?" In Thorold, Ontario you can watch this phenomenon actually happen! Visit the Lock 7 Viewing Complex to watch the ships sail over the Niagara Escarpment through the Welland Canal. The Welland Canal is a ship ca+

 St. George's Anglican Church

St. George"s is one of the oldest parishes in Canada established in 1792, and on its current location since 1840. Purchased from the founder of the Welland Canal, W.H. Merritt. St George"s has a long history as a garrison church. It serves the military st+

 The Apothecary - 5 Queen Street

At the corner of King and Queen Streets lies the Niagara Apothecary Museum - easily recognizable by the golden mortar and pestle displayed prominently on the front of the building. The building itself was restored in 1971 to reflect the structure as it+

 Butler's Barracks

After the War of 1812, Upper Canada built the Butler Barrack"s southwest of Fort George to avoid any future attacks from the American contingent. Once functioning as the site of government buildings before the War of 1812, Butler"s Barracks continued to b+

 First Welland Canal Ground Breaking Cairn

The First Welland Canal Ground Breaking Cairn, located where Hwy 20 crosses the Welland Canal at the Allanburg lift bridge, gets noticed by a lot of people. It marks the location where digging started on the First Welland Canal on Nov 30, 1824.+

 St. Andrew's United Church, Port Dalhousie

General Information St. Andrew"s United Church traces its origins back to the early days of Port Dalhousie. In the 1840s, the Presbyterian community of worship in Port Dalhousie was just beginning to form, and church services were held at the log schoolh+

 Storm-Mason House

"Originally across the street from its current location, this house was a story and a half tall when it was first built. When it was moved, a kitchen was added to the back along with another bedroom above. The land it now sits on was originally owned by+

 Beamsville Aerodrome

The Beamsville Aerodrome was an important airfield in World War I. In 1917 the Royal Flying Corps was faced with a difficult decision; the Corps would train in Texas during the winter of 1917 and 1918 and should the war last longer the Corps would have no+

 First Welland Canal - Lock 24

Lock 24 is located in Mountain Locks Park, a large park that has so many distinct areas to explore that its possible to miss this particular landmark. A small clearing has been made in the center of the park to showcase the original location of Lock 24 of+

 St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Thorold

St. Andrew"s Presbyterian Church is located in the heart of downtown Thorold at the corner of Ormond Street and Clairmont Street. In 1854 Reverend William Dickson was the first ordained Presbyterian Minister in the Thorold area and he became an influentia+

 Ridgeville Township Hall

The Old Township Hall was built in 1888. This was also the site of an earlier building in the 1840s.


 Battle of Beaverdams Park

The Thorold Discovery Walk pamphlet says this historical ten acre passive park was created in 1976 on the in filled channel of the second Welland Canal, but despite the name it"s not the site of the battle itself. However, it commemorates both Laura Inger+

 Dick's Creek

There is a blind inlet on the bank of the Twelve Mile Creek, east of the Highway 406 pedestrian overpass to downtown St. Catharines. It is virtually all that remains of one of the Twelve Mile Creek"s most important tributary streams, Dick"s Creek. The cre+

 St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (NOTL)

General Information Founded in 1794 after Rev. John Dun from Albany, New York was sent here on mission, St. Andrew"s Presbyterian Church served the community until being destroyed in 1813 by retreating American Forces. The Church was rebuilt in 1831 in a +

 Rice Moore House

The Rice Moore House has been designated a heritage site for its architectural value.


 St. Andrew's Church (Grimsby)

St. Andrew"s Church is the fourth oldest church in Ontario. The original church, a log structure built in 1794, served not only as a church, but as a meeting place and a school. Before the construction of the log chuch, services were read by Andrew Pettit+

 Petty House

"John Petty, a wagon maker, built this as a home and a shop. It was conveniently located next to the blacksmith, who supplied metal fittings for the sleighs, carriages and wagons. Petty cured the spokes for wagon wheels for seven years, and then placed th+

 Silver Spire United Church

Silver Spire United Church came into existence on July 1, 2008, as an amalgamation of three former downtown St. Catharines churches: Memorial, St. Paul Street United and Welland Avenue. Their current membership is about 450 individuals. Average Sunday wor+

 Overholdt House

"The house was built in 1900 by a wealthy shipping merchant named Moses Overholdt. He and his wife raised a son and daughter in the house which was to become the site of many social gatherings. The property remained in the family with his son Galen mainta+

 Queenston Chapel

The Queenston Methodist Chapel, which is now located on the same property as the Laura Secord Homestead in Queenston, was constructed in 1862 as the Wesleyan Methodist Meeting House at the corner of Queenston and Dumfries Street. It served the local Me+

 Oak Hill, William Hamilton Merritt Estate

The imposing white house at the corner of St. Paul Street West and Yates Street is Oak Hill, the second family home of Welland Canal magnate William Hamilton Merritt. The present building was constructed between 1858 and 1860 to replace Merritt"s first fa+

 Queen Street Baptist Church

Queen Street Baptist Church is a caring, multicultural church community that has gathered together since 1833 in downtown St. Catharines. Over time, their congregation has developed and changed in many ways. For instance, their music has changed to a blen+

 Nixon Hall

Allen Nixon settled on these lands as one of the first United Empire Loyalists in Grimsby. Nixon Hall was built in 1845 as a residence for the Nixon Family. This home demonstrates fine examples of the Gothic elements in its architectural design. The front+

 Pelham Evangelical Friends Church

The original Society of Friends (Quaker) Church now forms part of the Pelham Evangelical Friends Church. The Quakers were among the first settlers of Fonthill, arriving and establishing a community well before 1790. After the 1827-28 Hicksite-Orthodox +

 Nelles-Fitch House

The southwest wing of this simple house is Robert Nelles original log home. Colonel Robert Nelles was an important figure in the War of 1812 and was one of Grimsby"s founding fathers. The house was built in 1787 as a temporary residence while the Manor (N+

 Grace United Church

This building was made in 1852, initially used by Presbyterians, but was purchased by the Methodists in 1874.

Community Lunches
On the third Thursday of each month from October through April, volunteers take turns organizing and serving+

 Nelles Manor

Nelles Manor is considered to be the oldest inhabited dwelling between Niagara and Kingston. It was built in the Georgian style by Colonel Robert Nelles, of locally quarried stone, over a ten year period (1788-98). Built facing north and Lake Ontario on a+

 Fonthill United Church

"In 1842, Fonthill Methodists began meeting in their homes for services until they purchased a church 16 years later. "In 1858, the Methodists bought a white frame church from the Universalists, and when it was replaced by a brick church in 1937, it wa+

 Moore Cottage

This regency cottage was built in 1864 for Joseph Chambers, blacksmith and mason, who allowed part of it to be used as the Private School for Boys before the construction of the new "Common" School on Elm Street in 1867. Tom Rome, famed as a cricketer was+

 First Presbyterian North Pelham Church

The Presbyterian faith was brought to North Pelham by Reverend Daniel William Eastman. Beginning in 1823, he began preaching to the people of North Pelham once a month in exchange for forty bushels of marketable wheat. The congregation opened their fir+

 Merchant Shop

This home was originally built as Henry Nelles" merchant shop and granary. The joinery used to build the house indicates that it was originally constructed by ship carpenters. The post and beam interior is made of lovely red pine. At one time this would h+

 First Presbyterian Manse

This white frame house was built by Robert Lillie Gibson as living quarters while building his stone house. Upon completion of his house, he offered the first house to the local Presbyterian congregation for use as a manse.

Rev. R.G. Murray was+

 McFarland House & McFarland Point Park

This historic and beautiful Georgian style home was built in 1800 and was the residence of John McFarland and his family for 150 years. It is one of the few buildings in Niagara-on-the-Lake which pre-dates the War of 1812. McFarland built the home with hi+

 Fenwick United Church

The red brick Fenwick United Church on the corner of Canboro and Church Streets was erected in 1900. It was built when two Methodist groups amalgamated. One of these congregations had been active since about 1830. Today the 109 year old church has a child+

 McAdam House

"There is little known about this house, but we do know that it belonged to the Merritt family in the 1930s. It has undergone a meticulous restoration, and is one of the finer homes along the street with its lush garden and close attention to architectura+

 Danish Lutheran Church

This historic house was originally built by Walter Nelles, son of Peter Ball Nelles, and his wife Mary Summer. The house is a good example of an Ontario vernacular version of the Italianate style with its hip roof with deck, balanced facade, eyebrow like +


This house is perfect for the architechtural enthusiast because it is representative of a large variety of architechtural styles. With a mix of Italianate, Queen Anne and Romanesque Revival styles, this beautiful Victorian home has everything - 2 storey b+

 Charles Woolverton Church Building

Built in 1880, this lovely orange brick church was originally the site of the first Grout Foundry and Agricultural Works which burned down in 1879. The Grout Foundry was known for the invention of the horse-drawn grape hoe and the sulky plough.

 Ledingham Cottage

In 1879, Ledingham Cottage was built by Reverend Gallagher, and it had several owners over the years. The cottage received its name from the Ledingham family who lived there the longest and were the last to occupy it as a summer residence. Over time, the +

 Cathedral of St. Catherine of Alexandria

The Cathedral of St Catherine of Alexandria was built in 1845 but has a history dating back to 1832. It offers services to the community in the Roman Catholic faith. The Cathedral of St Catherine is also one of the churches which participates in the Out o+

 Lake Lawn

Named for the grassy stretch between the house and the lake, this home was built in 1846 by John Adolphus Nelles, son of William Nelles. John"s brother Peter Ball Nelles shared this property and built a lovely home called Stone Shanty. It was unfortunetel+

 Beaverdams Methodist Church

The Methodist Church in Beaverdams was built around 1832. Beaverdams was considered a centre for Methodists from the 1790s onwards. The church is built in the style of a New England meeting house; it has an almost square shape, minimal ornamentation, a+

 Kitchen House

The Kitchen family have lived in the Grimsby area for almost 250 years. William Dennis Kitchen built this home with its three gables, Georgian style verandah and intricately designed windows for his family in 1860. William"s relatives had lived in the are+

 Jordan House - 1842

First licensed to John Spence this hotel has operated since 1842. Many hotels and inns were necessary as rest stops along the Old Indian Trail now known as King Street or Regional Road 81. Under Spence, the vigilante militia convened here, and later, it b+

 James William Grout Nelles House

This historic home was built by James William Grout Nelles circa 1865, and later became the home of his son Willison Boise Nelles and his wife Henrietta, (who was called Ruby). Imagine 150 year ago, prior to housing developments, the farm stretching east +

 Howard House

The Howard House sits on a plot of land originally granted by The Crown to Samuel Crowine in 1803. The land was then given to Jacob Beam Jr., who sold the property for about 5 pounds per quarter acre in 1847 so that it could be used for the building of a +

 Honsberger-Griffith House

"The Honsberger-Griffith house was erected in 1851 by Michael Honsberger, a local merchant and Post Master in the Village of Jordan. The house was built using bricks that were made locally. Currenty the home is owned by Audrey Griffith (905-562-4666), who+


"William Nelles built The Hermitage around 1800. This house played an interesting part in the War 1812. American prisoners were housed in the barn after the Engagement at the Forty, (a battle which took place in what in what is now the nearby Forty Mile C+

 Homer Cemetery (a.k.a. Homer Burying Ground, The Ten Anglican Cemetery)

Canada GenWeb"s Canadian Cemetery Project. Homer Cemetery ( Homer Burying Ground / The Ten Anglican Cemetery). http://geneofun.on.ca/cems/ON/ONLIN14349Cooke, William. 2012. Stalking Dead People: Homer Cemetery: Historical and Neglec+

 Helen Gibson House

Local quarryman and builder, W.F. Gibson, built the first two cement block homes in Grimsby at 14 and 16 Robinson Street Southin 1912. In 1921, Mr. Gibson completely rebuilt 14 Robinson Street South.The building was reconstructed in the classical Georgian+

 Mississauga Point Lighthouse

Missisauga Point Lighthouse, constructed in 1804, was located on present-day Missisauga Beach, on the south shore of Lake Ontario within the grounds of what is now the Niagara on the Lake Golf Club. It was the first lighthouse on the Great Lakes. +

 Haynes-Griffin House

The mysterious Haynes-Griffin House recently a bed and breakfast, is now a private home again. The house was in the estate of Theresa E. Haynes, who left it for her granddaughter Evelyn Marguerite Staff in 1936. Thought to have been built about 1829 by th+

 Haynes-Creighton House

"This gracious Georgian home in Jordan Village was built between 1844, when Isaac Overholt purchased the land, and 1855 when the house and land were sold to John Petty, who was a carriage maker here in Jordan.

The Haines family (also spelle+

 Hare House

"A charming late Victorian house, circa 1890, this home underwent some careful modifications in 1987. It has some unique history: in the 1950s a congregation of the Eastern Orthodox Rite owned the house. It was said that the congregation sold the house be+

 Hansler House

The Hansler House is an old Victorian house located near the Fonthill United Church. It was built by John Wilson in the 1870s, and was thought notable enough for a picture to be included in the Page Atlas- an atlas of Welland and Lincoln Counties compiled+

 Haines-Farrell House

This beautiful historic estate house is for sale. "Built by Archie Haines after a much smaller house has been moved from the site, this house proved to be too big to sit facing the street and was built sideways. Haines purchased the adjacent lot, which wa+

 Grout House

This home was built in 1855 by John H. Grout, son of Reverend George Grout the rector of St. Andrew"s Church. John became an important citizen, and entreprenuer who established the Grout Agricultural Works which manufactured reapers and mowers, the most m+

 Gibson House

This house was built in 1860 by Robert Lillie Gibson, of pink Grimsby sandstone from his own quarry. Gibson"s original quarry in Grimsby gave out and a new quarry was started in Beamsville. Gibson had contracts with the Great Western Railroad for bridges +

 Gables Restaurant

Built in 1873 this historic building is now occupied by the Gables, a local family style restaurant. The Fertich family who owns the popular restaurant recommends calling ahead at (905) 945-1997.The Gables Restaurant is just a two minute drive down the hi+

 Fred Kinsman House

Built in 1894, this house is of the Queen Anne Revival style. It is designated under Part 1V of the Ontario Heritage Act by the Town and the Province as being architecturally and/or historically significant. "The h+

 Ford Cottage

In the summer of 1846 the shores of Lake Ontario became the scene of a Methodist Camp and Grimsby became known as the "Chautauqua of Canada"; a reference to a religious and cultural movement that started in the same era in New York State. Built in the 187+

 Fonthill Inn

The Fonthill Inn is one of the oldest buildings in the Town of Pelham. "A tavern was built on this site to service traffic on the "Great West Road" (the Canboro Road) probably before 1830. The owner was Jacob Osborne, and the settlement that grew up ro+

 Field House

Colonel Gilbert Field built the Field House by 1800 on the property which was acquired by through a land grant. The two-story Field House is one of the oldest brick homes in Ontario, exhibiting classic Georgian architecture. The home has a rich history, +

 Echo Hall

This fine Gothic house was built in 1842 by C. Woolverton, a local farmer and fruit grower. The exterior features an impressive paneled front door, bow-tie barge boards around the eaves and a spacious verandah. The interior remains in almost pristine cond+

 Dressmaker's Cottage

This small stone cottage is believed to have been built for the Nelles family seamstress by a stone mason who used the stone left over from the building of Nelles Manor (1798). A resident seamstress was a necessity since manufactured garments were not ava+

 Dolmage House

Robert Dolmage (1820-1889), a general merchant on Main Street, built this red brick home for his wife and daughters. After his wife"s death in 1904, the girls care was entrusted to Claude Boden, a shop assistant who had been adopted by Robert. When the la+

 Diffin's Inn

"In 1845 two enterprising brothers, Benjamin and George Diffin, built two inns on the Canboro Road or "Great West" Road, near the corner of present day Church Street. It was a time when inns were necessary and as numerous as gas stations are today, and th+

 Denwycke House

Built in the 1840s this home is over 160 years old. Originally the home of Peter VanDuser, a local fruit farmer, it is a fine example of the architechture of its period. Georgian architecture refers to the popular architectural styles between 1720 and 184+

 Danner House

Located on the scenic route of the Niagara Parkway, the Danner House was built in 1805 by American immigrant Ulrich Strickler, after moving from Pennsylvania in 1801. The Danner House is a stone building with a stucco finish in an early Loyalist Georgian +

 Crowe-May House

Around 1860, the Crowe-May House was erected on a 100 acre plot of land by John David Crowe, who later served as Reeve for the then existant Louth Township, for the years 1877 and 1878. His son David Crowe received the inheritance when John David Crowe di+

 Canterbury Cottage

This historic home was built in 1852 by Charles Nelles and was deeded to his half-sister Catherine. This Regency cottage with its low hip roof and large windows has a cozy appearance that hides its spacious, elegant interior. Two additions have been made +

 Buchner House

The Buchner House, built in 1799, is a unique home surrounded by rich history of the founding of Niagara Falls and the fight for Canada. The home was built by Christopher Buchner, after purchasing the property from his father-in-law, James Forsyth. Forsyt+

 Brown Jouppien house

Built in 1810 by John Brown, the Brown-Jouppien house is one of the oldest surviving homes in St. Catharines and in Southern Ontario. This a one of a kind home, full of rich heritage from the past. The large two-story home was built in two phases; constru+

 Bowslaugh House

The first house built in this location was built in 1846 by John Beamer Bowslaugh, who donated the land on the lakeshore for the Ontario Methodist Camp Meeting Ground (currently Grimsby Park). The house was destroyed by fire in 1874, and was rebuilt as it+

 Balfour Street Victorian Villas

In the Village of North Pelham on Balfour Street, there are some notable Victorian Villas dating back to the 19th Century, one of which is known as the Horton House.+

 87 Ball Street

Coming Soon!+

 342 Simcoe Street - St. Andrew's Manse

This property on Lot 156 looks across the road to the front of St. Andrew"s Presbyterian Church; in early days it was owned by various persons who served as officers and elders of the church. The original Crown Grant was made in 1816 to Peter Ball, Andrew+