Peter Secord, original owner of the Peter Secord Inn, was the uncle to James Secord (husband of Laura, whose historic deeds are well remembered). Laura and James Secord would have visited Peter Secord and his family numerous times.
The Peter Secord Inn is located on Four Mile Creek Rd in the Village of St. David's. It was built in 1782 and was home to Peter Secord and his family. Peter was an uncle to James Secord, husband of the legendary Laura Secord, whose historic walk to warn British troops of an impending American attack led to an important turning point in the War of 1812.
The Inn is said to be the oldest historic building in Niagara. Back in 1814, when the American forces set fire to St. David's after their final expulsion from the village, the inn was left alone. At that time it was serving as a troop hospital during the War of 1812; perhaps that was the reason it was not destroyed along with a good number of other buildings. The fire destroyed about 40 homes and businesses.
Today the Peter Secord Inn functions as a bed & breakfast, owned and operated by Harry and Collette Murdoch. The structure of the Inn has remained mostly intact. Most of the furnishings are historically accurate and are tastefully arranged to reflect 19thCentury lifestyle. Guests from all over the country, as well as internationally choose to include the Inn as part of their visit to the Niagara Region, enjoying the feeling of stepping back into time experiencing a much more luxurious experience than would have been supplied them back at the time the Secords lived there. Laura Secord, Major General Sir Isaac Brock, Governor Simcoe, and John Norton are just a few of the important historic figures who are said to have stayed at the Inn.
1. Get on QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way/ON-403) W. Follow signs for Niagara/East Hamilton/Fort Erie
2. Keep left to continue on ON-405, follow signs for Queenston Lewiston U.S.A
3. Take exit 38B for Regional Road 89/Glendale Avenue N toward Niagara-on-the-Lake
4. Turn right onto Glendale Ave/Regional Rd 89
5. Turn right onto York Rd (signs for St Davids/Queenston)
6. Turn right onto Four Mile Creek Rd/Regional Rd 100 and drive 260 m
Destination will be on the left
1. Take QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) towards Toronto
2. Take exit 34 for Regional Road 101/Mountain Road
3. Turn right onto Mountain Rd/Regional Rd 101 (signs for Mountain Road E)
4. At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on Mountain Rd/Regional Rd 101
5. Turn left onto St Paul Ave/Regional Rd 100.
6. Continue to follow Regional Rd 100 for 2.3 km
Desination will be on the right
Harry & Collette Murdoch
- Historic Building
- Common Area Fireplace
- Parking Area
- Patio Seating Area
- B&B Facilities
Operating Bed & Breakfast
215 Four Mile Creek Road, St. David's
L0S 1P0 Municipality Niagara on the Lake