Several of Laura Secord's relatives lived in St. David's. On her historic walk Laura stopped at the home of Hannah Secord. Her niece Elizabeth is said to have continued with her for an approximate length of three hours, turning back at Shipman's Corners (present day St. Catharines). Laura decided to continue on to DeCew House.
St. David's is a village located on the southern edge of the Town of Niagara on the Lake, just below the Niagara Escarpment. It is located at the junction of two ancient Indian trails thus it was of great importance in early times. The village was named for Major David Secord, an officer of the Butler's Rangers who had been given a land grant of 500 acres and brought settlement to the area. David Secord was also a member of the House of Assembly of Upper Canada from 1817 to 1820.
In its early history the majority of the population of St. David's was made up of United Empire Loyalists who had moved into the area after the American Revolution. Many of the men of the St. David's area fought in the War of 1812. The village changed hands several times during the war – US forces were finally driven out on July 19, 1814 however they set fire to the village before leaving, destroying over forty houses and other buildings. In total St. David's was taken by Americans six times and reclaimed by the British seven times.
Up until the end of the 19th century community industry revolved around farming and transportation, with a number of blacksmiths, grist mills and plough works. The focus turned to tender fruit production with the introduction of several canneries. Today the village has expanded its production to include a large number of vineyards and wineries, with a new focus on bringing tourists into the area.
1. Get on QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way/ON-403) W. Follow signs for Niagara/East Hamilton/Fort Erie
2. Take exit 38B for Regional Road 89/Glendale Avenue N toward Niagara-on-the-Lake
11. Turn right onto Glendale Ave/Regional Rd 89
12. Turn right onto York Rd (signs for Saint Davids/Queenston) after 5.1 km and continue until you see the town signs
1. Take QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) towards Toronto
2. Take exit 34 for Regional Road 101/Mountain Road
3. Turn right onto Mountain Rd/Regional Rd 101 (signs for Mountain Road E)
4. At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on Mountain Rd/Regional Rd 101
5. Turn left onto St Paul Ave/Regional Rd 100. Continue to follow Regional Rd 100.
6. Continue for 2.6 km until you see the town signs
The Village of St. David's has had a number of notable residents. David Secord, for whom the town is named, was the father-in-law of Laura Secord, who made history with her 32 km walk to warn British troops of the impending American attack in June of 1813. Laura and her husband James lived in town for the first few years of their marriage before moving to Queenston. Her brother Charles Ingersoll, her uncle Peter Secord and her brother-in-law Stephen Secord and their families also lived in St. David's.
While on her historic walk Laura is said to have stopped at the home of Hannah Secord, the widow of Stephen Secord. Her niece Elizabeth joined her on her journey, accompanying her until Shipman's Corner, now known as St. Catharines.
St. David's is located on just below the Niagara escarpment on prime agricultural land in the Niagara-on-the-Lake municipality, well known for its grape and wine production. Halfway up the escarpment is the St. David's springs, the source of the Four Mile Creek which meanders down to Lake Ontario.
Explore Niagara: St. David's Ontario.
Village of St. David's
L0S 1J1 Municipality Niagara on the Lake