Grist Mill (a.k.a.Peter Secord Grist Mill)

My Trip +

Front of building; Caption top right image.

Ontario Heritage Act Designated Building.

Back lot of the Old Grist Mill.

Low flow stream lower down on the property runs under newly constructed road.

Peter Secord, who lived in St. David's, was Laura Secord's uncle by marriage. She would have had the opportunity to visit his home often since her brother and his family and a number of other Secords lived in the same village.

This English grist (flour) mill built on the Peter Secord farm during 1782-83 is the very first grist mill built in the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake and last one standing in all of Ontario. Its architectural features like its timber framework, stone basement, oak hurst, and its historical properties hold large heritage significance in Canada. The Peter Secord Mill was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, Part IV.

The Peter Secord Gristmill was built and operated between 1782 and 1783 in the town of Niagara-on-the-lake. For the ten years after the gristmill opened in 1782, Peter Secord and his family worked on the property but despite his community efforts and his participation in mill development was not awarded the property. The Mills were awarded to Peter's name in 1796, three years after he had left the area. His property was bought by his brother James' son David in 1799.

Peter Secord moved to an important crossroads where the Iroquois Trail intersected with the trail along Four Mile Creek. The Iroquois Trail eventually became Regional Road 81 and stretched from Queenston through St Catharines to Hamilton. Peter wanted to build a sawmill and gristmill but because he did not own the land he had to ask the government for permission and was refused. The government then decided to construct the mills out of economic interest. They hired Lieutenant David Brass of Butler's Rangers to build a sawmill and gristmill to be operated by Peter Secord. Of the two mills built, only the Secord gristmill survived.

Four Mile Creek runs North/South directly behind the Peter Secord Grist Mill. Many of the natural areas have since been replaced by residential housing. The stream was largely influential to the production and reproduction of mills in the area.

From Buffalo:

Take thePeace Bridge to enter Canada (Ontario).

Continue onto King's Highway 405 (partial toll road).

Take the Stanley Ave exit toward Niagara Falls/County Road-102.

Left at Townline Road.

Continue onto Stam.-Niagara, Townline Road.

Right at Four Mile Creek Road and drive until you arrive at the residence on the right.

From Toronto:

Take QEW Niagara past Garden City Skyway in St. Catharines

Slight left at King's Highway 405(signs for Lewiston U.S.A./Queenston/ON 405)

Take the Stanley Ave E exit toward County Rd-102/ Niagara Falls

Keep left and follow signs for Niagara Parkway

Left at Stanley Ave

Left onto Townline Road

Continue onto Stam-Niagara, Townline Road

Right at Four Mile Creek Road

Continue until you reach Peter Secord Grist Mill on the right

Bannister Family. Private Residence, not open to the public

Peter Secord Grist Mill
137 Four Mile Creek Road
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
L0S 1J0

Latitude: 43.15256
Longitude: -79.104283
UTM easting: 654136
UTM northing: 4779501