In 1853 the Great Western Railway, GWR , opened in St. Catharines. A wooden trestle bridge built across 12 Mile Creek. 1882 Welland Railways and GWR combine to creat the Grand Trunk Railway, GTR. Became better and more economical to move people and freight. Towns that were connected by the rail were brought closer together (concenience, accessbility and time). Trade areas were expanded. In 1923 it became the Canadian National Railway Company, CNR.
St. Catharines Centennial History, 1867-1967
Canadian National Railway Company
|Phone:||(905) 669 3098|
5 Great Western Street
St. Catharines, Ontario