"The East Side School was built in 1870 and was located on the west side of Carleton Street South directly across from L.G. Lorriman (Central) School, now known as City Hall. East Side School originated as a 2 room free school and in 1875 was enlarged with the addition of two more rooms."
"The system of "free schools" began at Beaverdams followed by the Village of Thorold. The Bell is the only remaining structural artifact of East Side School and is currently located at Chestnut Hall incorporated within the flowerbed along the south wall of the building." Ontario Heritage Properties Database
The East Side School Bell was designated under Part 1V of the Ontario Heritage Act in 2002.
East Side School Bell
Chestnut Hall, 14 Ormond Street North