"The property on which the house sits was a Crown Grant of 52 acres to a loyalist from New Jersey named William W. Kitchen around 1790. He married Alice Beam and together they had nine children. William and Alice's youngest son, Jacob married Jane Dennis. Their only son, William Dennis Kitchen married Margaret Henry and built the house in 1885 on the bench of the escarpment, just west of the Thirty Mile Creek."
"The house was built in the Queen Anne Revival, Victorian style with red bricks-running bond at front, common 6th course flemish header at back. There is an impressive turret with square and rounded cedar singles, topped with a finial on the northeast side, two tall corbeled chimneys, and a hipped roof with flat belvedere. The gables have carved brackets and bargeboard with tall bay windows, all topped with segmental arches and decorative keystones. The front porch has an overhead balcony, and like the side porches, features turned posts, balustrades, spandrels and brackets."
"The front interior foyer features a pair of french doors with beveled glass in the upper sash, a glassed-in pocket door, a cherrywood staircase with carved stringer decorations, turned balusters, newel post and cap, corner balustrades and a curved handrail. Throughout the home are grained red pine floors, baseboards, fluted window and door frames with corner rosettes." Town of Lincoln Heritgage Property Index.
Purchased by the Longwell family in the 1920s, Doug and Jean Longwell continued to live there until the 1980s.
From 1999 to 2009, the house had been owned and restored by Norman and Sherry Beal, who transformed the property into an estate winery.
In 2009 Wendy Midgley and her husband Chef Ross Midgley purchased the Kitchen House and the Coach House from the Beals.
"Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18, authorizes the Council of the municipality to enact by-laws to designate real property including all buildings and structures thereon to be of architectural or historical value or interest."
The Town of Lincoln, Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee, (LACAC), designated the William D. Kitchen House under the Ontario Heritage Act for its historical and architectural significance.
Peninsula Ridge Estates Winery
Town of Lincoln Heritage Property Index # 16. Click on text below photograph and then scroll down near to the bottom for in-depth history of the house.
Ross Midgley - Chef/Owner
Wendy Midgley - Dining Room Manager/Owner
http://www.peninsularidge.com/coach_house.htm - - "Coach House Rental" - Accommodates up to 48 guests for an elegant sit-down plated meal and up to 65 guests for an elegant stand-up cocktail reception.
Kitchen House at Peninsula Ridge Restaurant (presently closed until June)
http://www.peninsularidge.com/profile.htm - - "Peninsula Ridge Estates Winery"
|Phone:||(905) 563-0900 ext. 35|
Kitchen House at Peninsula Ridge
5600 King Street West, PO Box 550
L0R 1B0 Municipality Town of Lincoln