The first layer of architecture in the downtown of London, Ontario is broadly defined as the period prior to Confederation, dominated by styles popular in the eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century Britain. This block was probably built in the late 1840s by the Lawrason- Chisholm partnership, which operated a general store in the now-demolished corner portion.
The store front at 111 exhibits a good example of terrazzo walkway - a much later addition to the building's street facade.
111 Dundas Street:
This building was occupied by several prominent retailers and cigar manufacturers and was occupied by the Chinese National League in the 1920s. Also owned or occupied by Peter Birtwistle, jeweller [an important businessman in the city] from 1881-1886.
113 Dundas Street:
This building has an early association with shoe makers and undertaking activities. In more modern times it has housed barbers and hair stylists.